Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cooler Temps

For those of you who are still running in the Sauna Driven Summer Heat I will warn you that this entry may upset you.

It finally seems that we have a break in the heat. What is truly amazing is how it has affected my running outdoors. Just last night I headed for a 12 mile run and the temps were perfect!! Our nights are in the low 60’s and the days are in the low 80’s. Instead of being beaten down by the heat I am empowered to push along and tick away each mile in the beautiful weather. Even the hills seemed to be somewhat easier and I seem to be enjoying this new challenge. With that said I only have 42 more miles to go this week. Yahhooooo!!

On a side note I will mention that once my husband arrived home from work he thought he would cycle to where I was running and surprise me. What should have been an easy thing to do added miles onto his ride. In the end I told him to stay put and ran to him. What this made me realize is that I really need to make sure that my route is known by at least one person. So often I run and turn where I choose to. Sure I have a general mapped out plan but there are lots of times I make last minute changes. Carrying a cell phone is great but if you can not get to it could be a problem. It was great having him join me for the last few miles. What a supporter!!

A big shout out to Suzanne. What a blast I had talking with you. Sharing the same love for this madness we are in is a blast! You don’t just hang with the Big Dogs… you are a BIG DOG.

Robin

11 comments:

Marcy said...

Can we trade? It's starting to get too cold here in the mornings. Pretty soon I'm going to need gloves while going out *sigh*

Lori said...

We had one nice week like that, too, but it is back up there a bit here. I am looking forward to starting off cold and warming up on my own :)

David said...

42 more miles to go this week? I guess you have some long individual ones planned, 'cause there isn't much left of the week. Not that I doubt you will do it in any way, since I know you are likely to run for 30 miles before 8 AM on Saturday. :-)

I totally agree with you on the weather; I can feel my efforts are focused on propelling me forward, instead of staying upright while fighting the heat of a few weeks back. I'm noticing an improvement in form and style, too. I guess that's why we do base building in the winter, huh?

Jess said...

I would LOVE to have that weather!

zanne said...

the cooler weather is totallty invigorating! we had a brief taste of it here, but it has been back in the 90's the past couple of days ... i'm hoping it cools off again soon! and thanks for the shout out girl ... it is very nice to know that there is someone else out there as psychotic as me! and i mean that in the nicest way! my second buff just arrived & while i love my first one, this second one is an exchange and i can't decide if i like it or not ... they need to have better pictures on their site.

Scott McMurtrey said...

it was 30 degrees when i woke up. 30!!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

soooo need some cooler temps...I am not greedy I just want out of 90's :-(

It was cooler today but the temp and what it feel likes still pushed us into 92

enjoy the cooler tempsssssssssss

Unknown said...

The heat is finally breaking here, too. It's very nice! Now we are getting to the time of year that we live here for.

Definitely a good idea to let others know where you are going to be running. I've read too many accounts of runners getting hurt in places where nobody knows where they are and it turning into a life and death struggle.

Have fun with your long runs.

Phil said...

It is really amazing how good it feels to run when the temps turn cooler. I can't wait until Arizona follows your lead.

J~Mom said...

We are enjoying a little break in the temps. It's been so nice!

Jason The Running Man said...

Robin - You are amazing girl! Great job with all those miles. I'm struggling a bit with mine but reading your journal helps inspire me to get out there everyday.

Keep up the mileage!