Thursday, January 8, 2009

Heart Rate 101


To kick off my goal of “Smart Training” I have calculated my heart rate zones and have implemented this in my training this week and moving forward. No longer will my runs be by “feel alone.” No longer will I run for “set miles.” From here forward all training will be based on heart rate zone and time in training. This goes for cycling as well.

This week’s prescribed Run and Bike workouts (did not list the swim):

Monday - Off
Tuesday
Run: 30 min. (Zone Two 139-158 bpm) I managed to run just at 3 ½ miles with an average pace of 8:23
Wednesday
Bike: 30 min. (Zone Two 132-150 bpm) then a 3 minute transition to run
Run: 15 min. (Zone Two 139-158 bpm) did not calculated pace and distance on this run
Thursday
Bike: 30 min. (Zone One 114-131 bpm) 100 rpm per minute rotation (small gear) This workout is geared towards pedal stroke form.
Friday
Run: 30 min (Zone Two 139-158 bpm)
Saturday
Bike: 1 hour (Zone Two 132-150 bpm)
Sunday
Run: 45 min. ( Zone Two 139-158 bpm)

Again, I did not show the swim and this week’s training reflects the first week in training for the Iron Event in November so it is a base beginning. I must admit that I am enjoying the heart rate training. It is teaching me to better listen to my body and by maintaining a certain heart rate range I have found the workouts to be even on the energy output.

Lots of you have asked about the list of books. I will gather all names and authors together in my next post.

Until then, train smart my friends….

Robin

20 comments:

Marlene said...

It seems more and more people are picking up HR training... I really should consider it. Need a new watch first, though. :)

Good luck! Sounds really interesting.

Unknown said...

I never really got the hang of training by HR, but I know a lot of people swear by it. Good luck and have fun with it!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I guess our blogs will be mirrored for a while! Are you finding your pace to be considerably slower staying in your zone? Good luck with it, and i'm hoping I can hang with it long enough to see the benefits! :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

and btw, thanks for the book recommendation! I think i have to order it since none of the stores around here seem to stock it!

Marcy said...

Dang everyone is going the HR route! Is this your first time rolling with it, Robin? Between you and Melanie I'm looking forward to seeing how this works for you guys ;-)

Marathoner in Training said...

I am a firm believer in heart rate training. I did a vo2 max test thru Newleaf.com and that also gave me the 5 training zones for my monitor. Also, if you are using a Garmin, they have an additional file to download to your unit that will track Fat burn and calories burned.

BeachRunner said...

Go Robin!! :)

mrjwhit~ said...

You are really going to blow 2009 out of the water. Nice plan. Can't wait to read how you do.

Journey to a Centum said...

HR training just as you have stated serves the purpose of allowing oneself to recognise when you are in the zone or pushing too hard. I used a heartrate monitor for about two years and now I really don't need one anymore.

There will come a time when you will toss the strap as well but it's fun to monitor your improvements.

BTW - Those age based maximum HR formulas don't work so well for someone like yourself who is already in great shape. I'd look around for some other formulas otherwise your workouts are going to seem somewhat lame.

teacherwoman said...

Glad to hear the HR training is going well and you are enjoying it!

Wes said...

Heart rate training is where its at!! except maybe a power meter on the bike ;-)

Shannon said...

I start 1/2 marathon training on Saturday. I start 1/2 Iron training in February. I need to look into "smart training ideas" as well. :)

Kevin said...

In my smarter not harder effort this year, I am transitioning to HR training as well.

In the next week, I need to do my LT test on the bike so I can set up my zones. I have a good idea of my zones for running based on when it gets hard to breather( Ventilatory Threashold) and my maximum HR I have ever hit in a race. Once I rebuild some run fitness I will do the LT test for running as well.

Unknown said...

Best of luck. I hope it works for you.

I tried it and seems no matter what I run, my heart rate was always high.

Your training is looking good Ironwoman.

Stuart said...

Sounds like you getting this dialed in, if you still looking for input check out Joe Friels book and blog.

Smart is the new sexy!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

way to go Robin, I need to look more into HR training.

jen said...

Great work on the first week of training! You seem to like this HR training, along with everyone else.. maybe you're onto something. I should do some reading. I haven't picked out a training plan yet. Have a good weekend!

Phil said...

Great plan Robin ... I started the same approach this past fall and it's worked great. The best side-effect however was totally unexpected. It's kept me from getting hurt. It's heard to be a macho-idiot while running with a HR south of 140.

I Run for Fun said...

Sounds interesting...and very scientific. It'll be interesting to see how your body responds to this training. Good luck with your training.

ShirleyPerly said...

Good work! So far I've not been a big fan of HR training mainly because the strap gives me a lot of chafing when running (cycling is OK). But if my coach says to use one, I will.

What brand/model HRM do you use and do you use one of those Polar jog bras that allows the strap to be threaded through it?