Thursday, July 2, 2009

HOT MILES and NEW WHEELS

Team arrives at the Lake follwing a 65 mile Ride

Scott drove SAG for us both days. HE ROCKS!!!

Sunday's Team just before the pulling out.

This week has zoomed by!!


Our Team did a back-to-back ride this weekend. Pulled out of Greenville at 6:30am on Saturday morning to try and beat some of the heat. Mostly country roads and LOTS of rollers until we reached the lake. Loved this ride!! I got off of the bike feeling great!! Lake time and a sleep over wrapped up a perfect day.


Sunday morning was not shaping up to be so great for me. Still not 100% sure but I believe the piece of chicken that was pretty uncooked resulted in a stomach malfunction and I spent some quality time in the bathroom before we even began our ride. Still determined to ride the 65 miles back we pulled out and began our ride. Not even a mile into the ride you have a 26% climb to get out of the subdivision. Freaking insane and my legs were pissed. I made it up just over half way and then had to dismount. Never have I climbed anything like this and my mind bailed on the thought just as my body did.

I will spare you the details but I held on until mile 30. My stomach was not good and I began to get the shakes. The heat did not help so I racked my bike. No one enjoys having to ever rack their back in the middle of the ride but it was the right thing to do.

So to fast forward….. I SOLD my bike and have now ordered my NEW WHEELS!!!! She will be in on Monday and when I return from a short vacation I will be rolling out with her on Thursday. Let me say that she is a SWEET CARBON MACHINE….. pictures to follow when she arrives :))))))))

Have a fabulous holiday! I will return next week.

Robin


15 comments:

Marlene said...

Oooh, new wheels!!! You must be so excited!

Sorry about the tummy troubles on the ride - that is no fun.

Wes said...

I will come drive the SAG if I get paid in beer... :-)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see pictures of your bike!!! Very exciting.

MJ said...

There's nothing quite like a brand new bike... can't wait to see it!

Stuart said...

Nice ride, great job, you're really going to toast your race...oooh new bike...nearly as good as new shoes!

JD said...

New Wheels - Awesome! Congrats! It's always exciting to get a new toy, especially if you've already sold the previous toy.

Any word on the Donaldson jerseys?

Grey Beard said...

If you catch it early enough, when the chicken is still in your stomach, ingesting 3-4 tablespoons of salad dressing with it's vinegar can help a lot. Racking the bike was a good decision. Your goals are long-term and recovering quickly to ride again more important than 30 miles.

On the heat, it sure makes riding a lot harder. I feel very, very lucky that the heat we had over this last weekend didn't show up on the Mt Hamilton ride as I feared it would. I'll take cold riding any day.

Ooooh, a new CF bike! I thank the President of Specialized every day for coming up with the idea to use CF to make bikes more comfortable, instead of relentlessly stiffer. In the last 5 yrs this idea has revolutionized road biking and allowed older riders to mount up again. Pics ... Please! :D

Chris said...

What a sweet bike Robin. I saw JC @ GTS and he raved about the deal. Can't wait to see it.

Have a great holiday

Runner Mom said...

Y'all have a fun vacation! I'll talk to you when you get back home. Come visit my bolg--I'm celebrating my 100th post with a give-away!

Hugs,
Susan

Anonymous said...

What colorful pictures. Why are trailrunners always so grey???

Looking forward to seeing your new bike.

ShirleyPerly said...

Stomach problems - YUCK! But everyone knows how tough you are so if you had to rack your bike there was good reason.

Look forward to seeing your new ride!!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

can't wait to see the new bike! Woohoo!

Kevin said...

Great news on the new carbon ride. Can't wait for pics

Unknown said...

That's awesome. Glad to hear you get a new toy.

surfie999@gmail.com said...

Climbing is not all that good........think of the boys this coming weekend in the Pyrenees! NOW that is hill climbing!!

26% incline is b***** steep, even for a short pitch. Even in the Himalayas the roads are not above 10%......many cars cannot climb roads that steep.

Abandoning was a wise move....live to fight again.