Monday, February 13, 2012

Good Old Fashioned ...SWEAT!

The pool this time of year is FREAKING freezing...unless you are an Eskimo...which I am not.  While I am swimming I use the thought of a 15 minute sauna as my reward for a solid swim session.  Following a swim I cuss all the way back to the ladies locker room freezing and join a lady already sweating it out in the sauna.  I don't know how the conversation came up but the next thing I know I was BEGGING her not to take diet supplement pills in order to lose weight.

She was hungry and eager for information.  She was heavy.  She feels like she has tried everything.  I was thrilled to be in the right spot at the right moment and for the next 20 minutes I sweat my a$$ off convincing her that sticking with exercise and balanced eating was the ONLY WAY to make a lasting change.  She thanked me as we left the YMCA that night and I truly hope that she is sweating it out WITHOUT the pills!

Inspire anyone lately??  :)

Robin

11 comments:

Matthew Smith said...

Very cool! Way to go on helping someone see a healthy way to be fit. Good for you. YOU inspired me! Thanks!

Jason said...

That is awesome. I love when you get the opportunity to speak with people about doing it the right way and really the only way. There is no magic pill for this stuff as it is just hard work. With hard work comes great reward.

Stuart said...

Nothing better than sweat equity!

Heather-O said...

Alright, now I know we are secretly related! I cringe every time I get in the pool, and the only reason I end up getting in is because I tell myself I can sit in the sauna afterwards! That's totally the right way to do it! (I hate when people hit up the sauna and then jump in the pool all sweaty, gross!)

And, our locker room is freezing too, like can't afford to pay the heat cold! What's up with that?!?!?

Way to be an inspiration! I hope that lady sticks to it! Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Lily on the Road said...

Well, you've planted the seed, let's hope she will nurture it to self improvement and self love, and a healthy weight.

Are you swimming outdoors? OMG, that would kill me unless it was in the 80's.

Marlene said...

Ohh I'm so glad you were able to chat with her and I hope she truly absorbed what you had to say.

Sauna sounds perfect after a chilling swim!

Matty O said...

wow... seriously hope she actually listened to you. You looking fit though, should be enough to convince her that IT WORKS!

There is no easy way to be fit or lose weight... well, aside from eating properly, it actually is very easy, just doesn't taste as good as Chick Fil A or Mc D's haha.

what is it w/ you ladies and freezing all the time!?

Wes said...

if I inspire anyone, it's entirely by accident ;-)

Ironman By Thirty said...

You mean there isn't a magic pill?? Well crap! I guess I have to keep training and eating healthy then.

My pool doesn't have a sauna (I swim at a high school pool, not a fitness center) so I must suffer through the cold on my own. I'll be suffering again today. Woohoo!

Unknown said...

That is one cool reward for yourself! It will surely relax your muscle and ease the exhaustion you had for the day. I think your trip in the sauna became helpful that you were able to encourage your friend to do the best thing for her. We just hope she’s still up for it!

Neil Dalby

Briella Allen said...

I really want to like a sauna, especially because of all the health benefits, but I can never stay inside for so long 🙁