Friday, May 25, 2007

Long Run and Off to Camping

So last night I scheduled my long run since we are headed out of town today for two days of camping. I want to just spend time with my family and friends and will not likely run until I return home on Sunday. Plenty of hiking, swimming, and eating planned for the next few days.

My girlfriend arrived at my house last night and we headed out for an out and back route that we know all to well. Within the first three or four miles we changed our plans and headed a different direction that would provide more shade and a change of scenery. It was hot and the traffic was pretty heavy still. At mile 8 I started feeling the aches in the knees again and my hamstrings were so tight. This stayed with me the rest of the run. I began to focus on this pain which was not good for my pace. I kept telling my legs to pick it up and when I did it felt a little better. Mind over matter right?! It was 9pm by the time we finished. Lots of stretching, a hot shower, and a cold beer with cheese and crackers would wrap up my evening and then off to bed I went.

Mileage for the week will be a total of 34 miles. Not bad since this is a taper week. My first 50k is one week from this Sunday. Can hardly wait!!

I PROMISE to have pictures from the camping trip and will post them on Sunday.

Happy Running!!
Robin

7 comments:

David said...

As difficult a time as you felt you were having, sounds like your running buddy was having a worse time. Enjoy the down time way up in the woods. ;-) If you miss civilization too much, you can always walk over to Cherrydale and watch a movie. Have a great weekend!

Marcy said...

Ohhhh Robin I'm excited for you!!! The 50K is coming up real fast! I can't wait to hear all about it. So I clicked the link and one part says "no bathrooms" OK totally cool, I understand that, since your in the middle of the woods. But seriously, what the heck to you do if you have to go while running? Pull over and go? Or just go on yourself? LOL, that's hardcore right there. (excuse my naivete *blush* )

Anyway, I'm sorry about the run but looks like you pulled it together towards the end! GREAT JOB!!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Robin said:first 50k is one week
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Awesome Robin can't wait for you to get out and run it too...BEST Wishes!

Have a fun time camping!!

Happy Holiday!!

Mendy said...

Robin, Hope you had a great weekend camping! Can't wait to hear about it.

Randy - Maniac #788 said...

Great run Robin even with the leg problems...way to talk your way thru them....hope you enjoy the weekend...sounds like a fun and relaxing time.

Unknown said...

Hope you had a great time with the camping.

Good luck with your first 50k coming up. I'm definitely pulling for you to do well.

Wes said...

Hope you had a great weekend! I can't believe you are doing a 50K? Wow!! You go, girl!!