Monday, March 29, 2010

The Perfect Race

The Cherry Point Marine Half Marathon will be one of the most cherished race events that I am sure to have. Not only did my son and I start side by side but we ran every single mile together!!


Kenny and I before the race FREEZING.

Race Report:

We arrived for check-in and was welcomed by 36 degree temps that felt more like 30 degrees and 14 mph winds. IT WAS COLD! At this moment I felt as if reclaiming the household record from Scott might not happen. The wind would be a big factor in the race times. Since this race caps at 150 runners the field was rather small. For the first 6 miles of the event we were surrounded by large areas of Pine Trees. My plan was to start the first 2 miles a bit slower to warm up and then settle into a steady pace. Things never goes as you plan and after I realized that our pace was faster than the plan I then decided to just go with it since I really felt great and I knew the second half would offer no protection from the wind. At every station Kenny would mirror everything I did. If I grabbed water he did. When I inhaled a gu he did. The plan was working perfectly.

This is where we realized that we could take the household record :)

The second half was more of a challenge. The winds just would not let up! At the last out and back turn around we hit some nasty sections of wind gusts that felt as if we were running in place. This became Kenny’s wall and this is the moment where a choice was made to PUSH THROUGH IT. I cannot express how proud I was of him! It was a hard push and he stuck right with me!

Coming into the finish!

We finished side by side. 1:56:58! It was perfect! Now I am one to normally not stick around for the awards ceremonies but I had a feeling that maybe just maybe I had placed. To my surprise BOTH Kenny and I placed 2nd in our age groups!!!! Unreal! What a perfect race and a perfect day!

How is this for some race bling :)

Over lunch I asked him if he would ever run another and he quickly said NO. I told him that is what everyone says until they toe the line again. :))))

Robin

19 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

CONGRATS to you BOTH!!!

How fun to run side by side the whole way. I think I would have been very tempted to tuck in behind your son, though, on the headwind sections.

Awesome bling!

Dave said...

Good stuff....hope you told Kenny thank you for his service for me.

Anonymous said...

Love it!!! So awesome.

teacherwoman said...

Wow! Sounds like a great race and it will be a cherished memory! Contrats to you both on the great finish time and placing 2nd! Wahoo!

Judi said...

i can't imagine how much smack was talked. :) congrats, love the pics!!

Scott McMurtrey said...

Too awesome! What a race! Congrats to both of you. Very, very cool.

Wes said...

haha! That's is so awesome. Congratulations to the both of you!! I, personally, think a Marine should have been ready to go again the next day :-D

Unknown said...

Congratulations to both of you. Well done!!

Marlene said...

AWWW, this is awesome! So glad you two stuck together AND beat the household record. CONGRATS!

OtterPop said...

Once again... so very proud of you! Cool to see a pic of you with your awards :) - Jess

Kevin said...

Awesome job both of you

Grey Beard said...

Love the fly-away hair in the last pic - uhhhhh - AND the twin trophies. Knew it was cold and windy from your very chapped hands and red knuckles - not that any of that would slow you down!

Not only a great individual accomplishment, but also a great accomplishment as a mother and mentor. Huge Kudos!

Runner Mom said...

Y'all are so cute!! I am very proud of you both.Love all of the pictures!That wind is so not fun! It's windy and cold here in Boone right now! We ran a fast 4 before supper....I was trying to keep up with the long legs in my family! Mercy!
Love ya,
Susan

Runner Mom said...

And,that time is amazing!!!

Stuart said...

Awesome, congrats to you both! Serious mantlepiece bling!

Felice Devine said...

That really does sound like the perfect race! Congrats to both of you!

jen said...

Congratulations!! What a race. You must be so proud. You guys make quite a team- you bring out the best in each other. How wonderful! :)

Anonymous said...

You both are the coolest duo!!! I've been thinking of you this past Saturday. Congratulations to you both.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

WOW!! Congrats to you both, and you're right, it certainly does seem like a perfect race!! I LOVE IT!