Saturday, May 5, 2007

Wonderful Rain

I was repairing for my trail run last night I realized that I felt true happiness. There are days when the stress of life in general takes over and before you know it you don't remember anything exciting even happening the entire day. What happened that we would become so driven by task that we would forget to be happy?

Running clears my mind and often gives me this time to reflect on all my many blessings. I am loved and I am married to a man that supports who I am. He loves my two children as his very own and his strong arms are what holds us together when things get hard.

At 4:30am I wake to the sound of thunder. Now I love running in most any weather but lightening is another thing all together. By 6:45am I am making the call to my friend to confirm that we are NOT backing out. Rain is falling and we are on our way. The trails were perfect and the rain felt so amazing. No sun and no heat... PERFECT. I realize that as I am running with my friend that I have found something that most never find. I have happiness and running helps me see this clearly. We chat about our kids, husbands, and about our crazy dreams of one day running a 100 mile ultra and just like that... we are laughing and we are happy.

We finish after 4hr 15 minutes and celebrate with our ice cold Mountain Dews. We are wet and dirty but life is good.

Robin

7 comments:

Scott said...

When you woke up this morning I thought you were "crazy" to try and run in that weather we were having. However, when you left and I was still laying in bed...I still wanted you by my side - for selfish reasons. But I soon realized that my selfishness really wants you to continue running in the early morning, in the rain, and even in the snow. I support every goal you have every wanted and every dream you have ever reached for. Keep on running and remember...I will always be by your side (both physically and mentally).

Love you.

Jason The Running Man said...

Well, my post won't give you the warm and fuzzy like Scott's but great job getting in the miles. I opted for Strength today run tomorrow!:)

David said...

Mendy and I were wondering if you were going to go through with it today, but I figured you wouldn't back out. Good for you, and I'll bet it was a cool run to look back on.

Marcy said...

Sounds like perfect run!!! GREAT job!!!!

Phil said...

It great to see you so happy. May a little rain fall on the rest of us.

Mendy said...

As David said, I was wondering if you were out there running in the rain. and you were... That's REAL dedication. Good for you, Robin! sounds like you gals had fun as always.

Faithful Soles said...

Great job on the run, and your post was so well stated. The camaraderie, love and admiration runners have for one another is why I'm so glad my children enjoy it. As for your senior son next year, it will be great, just enjoy the time together.