Friday, February 20, 2009

The Wheel

Just about 2 years ago I was sitting here at work and my husband pulled into the parking lot with a surprise. Not something that I had asked for or even something that I had a suspicion about.

A brand new road bike. At first I was not sure how much I would ride it. Sure as a child I racked up miles and miles on my sweet blue 10 speed but more than 20 years had passed and fear of cars etc. had changed my passion for riding….. so I thought.

Last year the bug bit and I began riding anywhere between 50 and 100 miles each week. This year I was bitten a little more and geared up with some winter gear that opened the door to cold weather riding. It really is great if you have the right layers on.

During a group ride this past Sunday I watched a girl stand on the side of the road with a flat tire and all of the tools to change it but no clue on exactly how to do it. This girl was not me but it very well could have been. So last night I attended a free clinic at our local bike shop and I am proud to say that I am now able to change my own tire. The instructor was VERY patient which was good. He really took his time to teach us what to look for when changing a tire so that you don’t rush it and end up on the road again another mile down the road. I changed mine 4 times.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
Robin

15 comments:

Wes said...

LOL... My sister told me in transition at Ironman that she had never changed a tire. I think its a must! Good for you for learning how... :-)

BeachRunner said...

That is great!

Jarrett said...

I've changed three flats for my bride, and I don't think that she could do it on her own. I think I should make her do it herself, just for the experience once in a controlled environment.

Anonymous said...

With all the miles you'll be racking up this year, it was a smart move to attend a class. I wouldn't have a clue what to do.

Judi said...

that's awesome. it's a must for cyclists. :)

Marcy said...

Ohhh girl why bother? Just stick out your hooters and show some leg. Someone will eventually pull over and help :P KIDDING!

zanne said...

I went to the very same sort of clinic with some teammates a couple of weeks ago! It is nice to know how to do it so you don't have to wait for rescue or be all stranded!

Marlene said...

Definitely a good idea!

I don't have a bike, but I think I should learn how to change the tire on my car. :)

Shannon said...

The changing of the tire, was what I experienced AT LEAST five times on the road last year! I think I finally have changing of "the wheel" down pretty good.

I Run for Fun said...

Good job on learning! I could be the girl on the road...and I'm not sure if a clinic could help me!

Karen said...

That is awesome - I keep wanting to sign up for a clinic - must do it ot i will be one of those sad people on the side of the road. Thanks for the inspiration!

CTBamaFan said...

Wish I had known about the clinic. Gerri and I bought some nice road bikes last year, but haven't used them much yet. I think one of the things keeping me off the road is the "fear of the flat". Maybe you can teach your own class now for those of us that need it:)

What bike shop offered the service?

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, I've seen a couple women on the side of the road with flat tires during a race and seemingly no way to fix it. Glad you took the class!

Ryan said...

Tires go flat?

< Marcy said "Hooters" and "leg"

Va Va Va Voom!

Vava said...

Nice! A valuable skill indeed. And good luck with that whole phone thing...